Friday, July 23, 2010

Varmits, Varmits, Varmits

*Sigh* why is it that no one is safe from marauding animals? I know its a circle of life thing, but when you put your blood, sweat and tears into it, its so frustrating. My stalks of corn that tipped over are still growing, albeit at a weird angle. They are good and healthy and I think harvest is very soon. However when I was leaving for work this morning The Wife said "Uh oh, what's that on the corn stalk?" So I go running over like a fireman trying to save a child from a burning building, just in time to see the bushy tail of a member of Squirrel Squadron bolt from the stalk. He ripped open an ear and was munching away apparently. The corn looks really good inside as well, prompting me to think that I should do an emergency harvest today. My scouts inform me that there has been another raid while I was out working for The Man. Why God???? ;)

I don't have pics for all the progress, which is VERY significant from the last time, but I will get them up soon. Here is a pic I snapped of a cantaloupe. I didn't realize when I took it, but there is one twice its size hidden behind the leaves directly behind this one. There are many others. Hopefully they will make it.

The only fruits I have at the moment are these cantaloupes and tomatoes. Still waiting for the jalapenos to fruit but they have flowered. Carrots and potatoes are still small. Pumpkins and squash are flowering, same for the beans. Watermelon is still to small yet since I planted that in late June.

All looks promising. Considering a greenhouse for starters or leafy veg early or late in the season.

No comments: