Wednesday, July 7, 2010

3 girls in a small room

I think I might have over-done it with the 3 sisters. In each mound - of which there are nine - was planted 4 corn, 4 beans, and 3 squash. Experienced squash growers are now laughing at me. Sooo much squash in such a limited space is presenting a big problem. I can't walk among the plants without trampling on the vines. The gate for the garden is, of course, on the side makes me have to walk though the sisters to get to the tomatoes and peppers (which are flowering nicely.)Need to remember to better lay that out next time with possibly 2 gates depending on where the early leafy veg goes vs. the fruits.

Also, since all 3 were planted at the same time, there is a bit of a fight for dominance. The beans are wrapping all the way up to the tops of the corn, before the ears are set. I've had to unwind them from the tassels a few times. Lower down where I succession planted some corn, the squash totally blocked them from the sun. Can't let that happen. I guess I will have to cull some vines to at least be able to walk without poking my eye out on the tomato cages.

I was doing some research and it turns out that Native Americans gave the corn a month before planting the beans and squash. They also alternated the squash, with one plant every other mound. Essentially meaning that I only can plant 3 squash in the same pattern as I have it now.

As much as this is all kind of an experiment for me, I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I have been reading on the whole set up so much that I feel like an expert, or could at least write a Wikipedia article on it. ;)

No comments: