Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Solar Panels for the North Side

*The Giant tries to create a capital "N" with his fingers like all the gangstas do with "W" and heart shapes*

As many know my house, built in the 1950's, has no regard for North/South alignments to catch the sun. My house faces East, which gives great sunlight in the living room in the morning, and great light in the bedroom in the evening. The exact opposite of the times I am actually in those rooms. Further, I have very large oaks on the south side of my house which, while shading me quite nicely from the scorching Suburbia, VA sun, affords me no option to put up solar panels to reduce my carbon footprint. That may soon change.

I was reading a CNN article that spoke about solar panels that don't need to be placed in a certain orientation to get sunlight. Well, its just the coating on the panels, not the panels themselves. Basically, the layering on the coating allows sunlight to be absorbed by the panels no matter what angle the sunlight hits. It also allows for absorption of UV, and IR light, not just visible. Essentially, you can put the panels anywhere as long as light hits them, and they will absorb almost 96.21 percent of the light, better than the 35% or so now. :)

Hmmm, I'm seeing a great little stand with a few panels on it next to the garden in a few years. Unless the Bambi Brigade/Squirrel Squadron task force does something to it.

No comments: