Friday, July 15, 2011

Hopeful disapointment

I pulled one of the potato plants yesterday that looked ready (droopy and wilted leaves). Its mid-july and those spuds have been in since March. What did I get? Spuds barely bigger than the seed potatoes I put in. Grrrr. Also, I have come to the conclusion that the 3 sisters does NOT work with sweet corn. The stems are so weak that the beans just pull the stalks over where they snap and get ravaged by the local wildlife. I have pulled the beans that were growing in the other batch, maybe I can get some corn by September. I will have to further segregate the crop next season, maybe putting a chicken-wire fence between the corn rows and letting the beans/squash grow on that. Could also be too much nitrogen and the plants are growing so the roots aren't as deep (called logging). Also considering growing things in pots in front of the house (by the street) since that spot get the most sun. Also may let me focus more, I need to concentrate my efforts I think. Too many plants with different needs and not enough experience on my part.

There is another watermelon growing so its not just the 'lone melon' which is good. The evening sun's have flowers on them now and are tracking the sun quite well. Tomatoes just about ripe. Amaranth is at least 10 feet high. :)

That reminds me, do NOT plant Amaranth on the east side of the Main Bed, they shade everything. The peppers are having a hard time competing. Ah, but I think the potatoes have been too hot since they really sit in the sun from 10am till 3. So grow the potatoes on the west side of the Amaranth so they will get shaded.

Pictures this weekend.

Yeah, I know I try not to swing political, but this is about helping people eat. Great idea, and she is a better gardener than me.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/14/cnnheroes.hirshberg.seeds/index.html?hpt=hp_t2#

No comments: