Tuesday, June 15, 2010

3 Sisters made from clay

I have been experimenting with Native American farming methods. One of the ones that I have spent a good deal of time on is The 3 Sisters. You can read about it in the wikipedia entry I linked. This form makes sense to me, its companion planting to balance out each plants needs, and physically done so that squash (which like to be on hills) are appeased. Unfortunately I have found that the soil type has a lot to do with the success. My soil is clay. Brown, clumpy, and hard as a rock when it is dry. I've been told that it is the best soil once it really gets going.

Well, the mounds that the 3 sisters are in (actually I practice the 4 sisters since I plant sunflowers as well) are made of clay. "in time the Rockies may tumble / Gibraltar may crumble / they're only made of clay" Sure enough, yesterday in a heavy rain, my corn started to lean over. I thought it was weak roots and heavy rain. When I went out to look, I realized that the mound was simply disintegrating in the direction that the corn leans (east, toward the morning sun). The mound felt like a sponge in my hand. They fell over like dominoes, still rooted, but laying down, as they do in crop circles.

So now I have to stake them. Stakes for corn, isn't that supposed to be the other way round? ;)

So note to self, either prepare to stake, make some kind of border for the mounds to keep them in (a possibility with my infinite brick supply), or don't make hills.

I hope I can save them. They were chest high!

1 comment:

philgrad said...

Nice! We've had such violent storms that I've had a couple pepper plants get felled/split.

Lettuce growing time is almost over, and I have 8 heads left of romaine to harvest. My spinach is bolting, so time to saute that up too. And the 5 remaining heads of rainbow chard. Yikes! Greens ahoy!

Broccoli is coming in nicely, tomatoes and peppers are going nuts, and the cucumbers are threatening to take over the entire block.

As soon as the leafy greens are harvested, I'm planting melons, including the interesting "tigger melon". All my seeds are from http://rareseeds.com (Baker Creek, in Missouri!)